As the weather cools down, a lot of people become less active and eat more foods. As such, at this time of the year, it is not uncommon to gain 2-3 kg. We have listed below, some common meals we have at this time of the year and some simple strategies to trim some energy from them. Try these simple recipe modifications to these winter favourites.
- Breakfast: Porridge
- 1/3 cup of rolled oats
- Instead of milk/brown sugar, use water/milk
- Add some psyllium husks to it and mix in well. Much more filling
- Dinner: Roast
- Portion sizes – limit the size of the meat (125gr of red meat/meal is enough)
- Starchy vegetables – cut down on potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, peas and corn. Eat more broccoli, cauliflower etc.
- Gravy/sauces –minimise the use of gravies and sauces. The less the better
- Lunch: Soups